Development of emotional intelligence is essential for success in all kinds of relationships. This blog series will outline the stages of emotional intelligence development. This post focuses on stage three, Self Motivation.
Stages to Emotional Intelligence Development
- Self-Awareness: Acknowledging and coming to terms with personal strengths, weaknesses, bias and attitudes
- Personal Emotional Regulation: Learning to self sooth and mindful of feelings
- Self-Motivation: Internal locus of control and desire to grow
- Relationship Management: Soft Skills
- Emotion Coaching: Coach your team to and others on these skills
5 Steps to Self-Motivation
- Adopt Positive Self-Talk
- Build a Dream Team Support System (the ‘A’ team)
- Creative Visualization
- Create a Delicious Environment
- Have a Mentor or Have Regular Training
Step 1: Adopt Positive Self-Talk
Develop an excellent inner-voice of a cheer leader or coach.
- Our current views of ourselves are formed by what we tell ourselves, what others tell us and what others say about us.
- Affirmations are always written in the positive sense.
- I am beautiful and loveable
- I am talented, intelligent and creative
- I am growing cleverer every day
- I have much to offer, and others recognize this
Therapist Nicki and Affirmations
Step 2: Build A Dream Team
Working with talented people you can trust is its own motivator. It is important to develop a support system to which you can turn when needed.
Step 3: Creative Visualization
- A central idea is that the brain gives rise to emotional states that will evoke behaviour.
- Changing the way you think will change the way you behave.
Step 4: Create a Delicious Environment
- Comfort vs. Discomfort
- The space needs to feel safe
- Healthy and Helpful
- Respectful, Candid, and Transparent
- Contains Cheerleaders and Coaches
- Organised and Expectations and Roles are Clear
- Well-chosen music can leadto:Lower levels of stress
- Improvements in long-term memory
- Higher levels of creativity
- Enhanced learning
- Desired emotional states
Step 5: Have a Mentor or Receive Regular Trainings
- Read the books of successful people
- Attend conferences
- Participate in team building activities outside of work
- Find a Mentor or Coach
- Clearing groups